Monday, January 09, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

Oh how I hate to fill these out but I love to get pressies so I had better LOL.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I will admit that I'm a yarn snob. I have knit my fair share of low end yarns but now I have found the joy in knitting wools and other natural fibers and I love them.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do not spin (although I did try to learn) and I do crochet but not very often (hurts hands).

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My double point bamboo/birch needles are all in clear plastic divided tubes that I love. My straights and circulars are in a drawer and I have to search for them when I need them (Hint!).

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit 45 years ago. My skill level is somewhere between intermediate and advanced although I do love mindless knitting something easy occasionally.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do have an Amazon list here.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
For candles, I love Yankee Candles in their spiced pear and cinnamon scents. For bath products, I'm not picky.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes and I'm constantly dieting to make up for that sweet tooth. Favorite candy are chocolate and toffee - any and all kinds.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I quilt almost as much as I knit. I recently made curtains but don't sew clothes anymore.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love folk and celtic music. I also listen to Josh Groban and Garth Brooks. I have an iPod for my portable music and a CD player for discs.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Favorite colors are blue and tans - earthy colors except for oranges are also my favorites. I don't look good in green or yellow.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my husband of 30 years and an adult son. My married daughter lives in VA. I have 5 cats (4 champion Birmans and a barn cat) and a dog.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Living in Texas, not much use for cold weather gear. I wore ponchos in the 70's but don't think I'd wear one now. I am knitting lace shawls, though.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love most natural fibers. My favorite sock yarns are Opal and Mountain Colors Bearfoot. I like traditional worsteds and DK yarns like Cascade 220 and Araucauna.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Novelty yarns like eyelash and ribbons.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Aran sweaters and lace shawls and stoles.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks! I have a short attention span so socks work well. I also do sweaters and my daughter enjoys my warm things since she lives in a cold climate.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Pullover sweater, lace shawl, socks. Starting the FLAK aran sweater later this month.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Love them!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I don't have a preference - I like either

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like bamboo for double points and straights and aluminum for circulars

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have both

22. How did you learn to knit?
I learned to knit from my mother and grandmother and also as a project in 4H when I was a child.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably about 10 years old :)

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Favorite animal would be the horse. I lost my horse, Sugar, about 4 years ago. I also love my cats. My favorite animated character would be any of the Looney Tune characters.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas!

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Tacky thimbles from various places around the world. Cat figurines.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Cast-on is the only one I subscribe to.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I would love to try Trekking XXL which is one I've not used before but have heard good things about. I would like to try felted patterns like slippers or bags.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Felting and Fair Isle stranding.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes :) Large foot - size 11 (eek!!) I usually do 72 stitches on size 1 needles with sock weight yarn.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 7/15

till later ~~ Dene

No comments: