I'm enjoying quilting again and spending way too much time and money on the embroidery module of my Bernina. I'm also taking loads of classes and making new friends. I'll post some pictures of my completed items soon - I'm on a roll!
What I accomplished this weekend:
Wait .. those are the trimmings :)
These are blocks for 2 baby quilts done in the 1930's reproduction fabrics. On one quilt I'll embroider Sunbonnet Sue's and on the other baby motifs. The embroidery area will be 8 inch plain blocks framed with these quarter square blocks.
You might wonder about the pile of trimmings. I like my blocks to be a perfect size and thus I cut my fabrics just slightly larger than I need them to be and then trim once they are sewn into blocks. For example, for these quarter square triangles, I should have cut the fabrics 5.25 inches for a 4" finished block. I instead cut them 5.5 inches and then trimmed them exactly 4.5 inches when pieced. This ensures that the quilt top will lay perfectly flat when seamed and I won't have to beat any blocks into submission to make them work. At least that is the theory.
I've finished a Delectable Mountains quilt, a pair of socks, a shawl and a table runner in the past few weeks. Another baby quilt is just lacking tacking the binding down. I'll get the camera out soon!
till later ~~ Dene