Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hello

A new start for this blog that has actually been around for 2 years - with a total of 2 post. Time to "cast on" and get this blog started off right by deleting those 2 posts!

Why 42 stitches?
An inside joke at work. Whenever someone doesn't know the answer to a question, they say 42. Not sure how it began but it continues to this day. So, 42 stitches seemed appropriate for this blogs because I am far from having the answer to any question.

So, if you are still following me, here are 42 things about myself:
1. Dene is not my real name. It is short for Denebir which was the name of my now defunct cattery. My real name is so plain that I'd rather use Dene.
2. I still have The Cats - 4 champion show Birmans that are now leading the life of luxury as just plain cats. Plus one outside barn cat. Oh and then there is The Dog that thinks he is a cat even though he is 50#s.
3. I don't have a barn but do have 2 pastures on our 4.67 acres of Texas real estate just NW of Houston Texas.
4. I occupy that real estate with The Hubby of 30 years and The Son of 23 years.
5. The Son doesn't live in the main house but in an attic room over the garage. We see him daily when he comes down to shower and whenever he needs to do laundry. He works full time and is basically self-sufficient - YEAH!
6. I don't mind The Son living here as The Husband works every other month in Russia. It is nice to have someone in the house even if it is a reclusive young person.
7. The Daughter doesn't live her but instead lives in Virginia with The One-who-married-The-Daughter of 6 months. No grandkids yet .. darn!
8. I'm passionate about a lot of things.
9. One of those things is knitting. My mother and grandmother taught me about the same time I learned in 4-H. That was when I was about 10 years old
10. My current passions are socks, lace shawls and Aran sweaters. I've finished lots of socks, no shawls or sweaters complete, thought, but not from lack of trying
11. I'm a sucker for knit-alongs and sock-of-the-month kits. I have many, finish few
12. I'm a yarn snob.
13. I have a healthy stash of yarn.
14. Another passion is quilting.
15. I have a healthy stash of fabric.
16. I have a healthy stash of thread.
17. I'm a fabric snob.
18. I have no time to knit or sew because I have one of those jobs that eats up ever minute of your day.
19. I collect patterns - knitting, quilting, cross-stitch.
20. I swoon over Mel Gibson.
21. My favorite color is Tan (another joke that has perpetuated for over 2 years). It really is blue but nobody will let me change my mind.
22. I love God and attend church regularly.
23. I don't finish a lot of things and thus have a healthy collection of UFOs.
24. I endured survived an total house remodel in the past 8 months. It is almost done!!
25. I know how long it takes to seal 3,000 square feet of tile grout.
26. I am a pattern tester for Quilters Cache.
27. I work at home so I don't ever complain about traffic unless you count stepping over the cats in the hallway.
28. I work online and am Bi (work on a PC *and* a Macintosh computer).
29. Sometimes working from home has its pits but mostly it is great to be able to work in your jammies and bunny slippers.
30. I've worked for the same company since 1998.
31. I have a BS degree in Biology and Chemistry, part of a Masters degree in Wildlife science and an Associate's degree in Veternary Technology. Why I work in the Internet industry is beyond me.
32. I solve algebra problems for fun.
33. I am an avid reader. Comes from being the daughter of a librarian.
34. I am a faithful friend and have a few that I get into trouble with - but it is so much fun!
35. I worry about others who are in any type of strife or trouble.
36. I'm very emotional - I cry often.
37. I love chocolate and bread pudding.
38. I love oatmeal soap and my new Jacusi bathtub.
39. I love my husband and family deeply.
40. I'm a native Texan and only lived out-of-state once for 5 years when I was in grade school.
41. I long to travel overseas. I've only been once - to The Netherlands.
42. I love to read blogs!

So that is who I am. Now I'm off to rip back a pair of socks I'm doing for The-One-that-married-The-Daughter. I dropped an edge stitch while under the dryer today at the salon and couldn't recover it to where it looked correct. Now that sounds funny "dropping an edge stitch" when I'm knitting in the round..LOL! It is actually the edge of the heel flap that I dropped off some short Britney Birch double points.

~~ till later ~~~ Dene

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by my blog and I look forward to having you in Blogland with us!

Maggie said...

I know you did not ask, but I infer that someone at work may have started the 42 joke by quoting "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It is a very funny book by Douglas Adams in which 42 is the Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

From Wikipedia: 'According to the Hitchhiker's Guide, researchers from a pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent race of beings, construct Deep Thought, the second greatest computer of all time and space, to calculate the Ultimate Answer. After seven and a half million years of pondering the question, Deep Thought provides the answer: "forty-two."

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"
"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is." '

Sometimes I find the therapeutic value of knitting to be the Ultimate Answer! 42 Stitches is a good name for a knitting blog.