Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Delectable Mountains Quilt


Project details
Pattern: Delectable Mountains (Quilt in a Day publisher) by Eleanor Burns
Size: 68 inches square
Fabric: various cotton prints
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom 80/20
Details: Free motion machine quilted in a rose pattern with a leaf border design. The rose design was chalked on using a stencil before quilting.


This was a "languishing" project from about 2-3 years ago. Originally, this was to be a shop sampler for a now out-of-business quilt shop. The top was easy to cut and assemble using Eleanor's special ruler and there wasn't much challenge to the piecing. The quilt has actually been almost done for about a year - I just needed to get the binding on it which is what I just completed. I used a rose print in the center for extra interest. Detail (click to embiggen)


I used the top to do a test run on a friend's HandiQuilter 16 sit-down machine that was on loan to me for a year. This is a small long arm machine that sits flush in a table and you move the quilt under the needle for the stitching. Although it did a nice job, I don't think I'll be purchasing the machine in the future. I'm just too spoiled by stitch regulators which it lacked. I'm not real happy with my freemotion skills and my inexperience shows in the quilting on this project.

I think this quilt will end up on our living room wall for now. I need to put a hanging sleeve and a label on it first.

Till later ~~ Dene

No comments: